Bill Knowles County Clerk
"Thank you Hamilton County voters for your confidence." - Bill Knowles
Click the Yellow triangles below to learn more about Bill's innovative ideas that have
saved time and money for the people of Hamilton County:
- First to bring internet tag renewal to Tennessee
- Bill brought internet renewals to Hamilton County in 2001—the first in the State. Some at the State level doubted it would be impossible, but Bill was determined to find a way. The Clerk's office along with Hamilton County's Information Technology group developed the security needed. The plan was submitted to the State…was scrutinized…and passed. Today more than 60,000 motorists each year click their way to renewal. The completed renewal registration is mailed out on the same day it is received!.
- First to introduce driver's license renewals to Hamilton County Clerk's Office
- Hamilton County residents agreed on the fact that the wait time at the State Driver Testing Centers was unreasonably long. Bill worked with the State Department of Safety to secure a contract to allow his office to handle renewals, duplicates and name changes. Almost 130,00 drivers have used this service since it began in 2004. It's quick and efficient!
- First to open full service tag & title satellite office with extended hours
- The satellite office on Bonny Oaks Drive was originally the little brother of the main office at the courthouse, but today almost 65% of all motor vehicle work is processed at the satellite office. The free parking and less congested access makes it a popular choice for most motorists.
- First to launch on-the-spot vehicle title printing
- "In the day" titles were printed at the State Capitol in Nashville, and wait-times on a title was months. Bill sought out a contract to take on the responsibility for title printing locally, and today the wait time for a title processed by the County Clerk is usually three days or less.
- First to implement online marriage license research to support genealogy study
- Today if you go to CountyClerkAnytime.com, you can easily find public information about marriages. Before, genealogy research was conducted on microfilm machines. The process was tedious. Not anymore. Now you are a few clicks away from researching most marriage records dating back to 1857.
- Pioneered license plate renewals-by-mail for Tennessee
- For 42 years Tennesseans have been able to avoid long lines for auto renewals by using the mail-in option. Did you know Bill was instrumental in the State law change that allowed such an option? Before legislation was enacted, Hamilton County proved the mail plan's viability and convenience.
- Developed best County Commission record keeping system in the State
- About 50 times each year the Hamilton County Commission meets to consider action on matters concerning local residents. The task of recording minutes and providing research for those minutes is placed on the County Clerk. Hamilton County has come from yellow legal pads and pens to custom software that records meetings and makes audio copies available to the public and media within minutes of concluding the meeting.
- Earned the County $1.4 million by investing idle account funds
- When Bill came into office in 1974 bank balances for his office generated no interest revenue. Since that time he has invested money in safe, insured interest bearing accounts—earning Hamilton County more than $1.4 million dollars.